Summer Reading Club
June 1 to July 31, 2023
Earn points in the Summer Reading Club as you read, explore your library and explore your community!
In June, all participants will receive a free book and their choice of a large sticker or pin, just for signing up! In July, all participants will receive a free book and a free t-shirt, while supplies last. Earn more points as you read and listen to books and complete activities! Everyone who has at least one point each month will be entered into the drawing to win a prize that month, so be sure to log your reading and activities on Beanstack before the end of each month. Each location will have a prize winner each month.
This summer, everyone who has at least one point per month will be entered into a drawing to win a prize that month. There will be ten prizes in June for each age category: early literacy (ages 0-5), children (6-11), teens (12-18) and adults, and ten additional prizes for each age category in July.
Summer Reading Club Kickoff Party
5:00-8:00 p.m., Friday, June 2
Main Library, Richard Pfeil Family Courtyard
Celebrate the start of the Summer Reading Club in the courtyard at Main Library! Enjoy activities, food trucks and live performances by musician and early childhood development specialist Jim Gill, and the Latin-soul infusion band Lalo Cura while you sign up for Summer Reading Club.
Ballroom – 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Jim Gill is a musician and author known for celebrating active play. In concert, Jim strums energizing rhythms on his banjo while everyone sings, claps, dances and spins along to his silly and inspiring musical games. Each concert is more than a show to watch – it is an opportunity for family play! Learn more about Jim Gill at jimgill.com.
Courtyard – 7-8 p.m.
Lalo Cura is a Spanish Rock band based in Goshen, IN. Formed in 2012, Lalo Cura has developed a unique sound that combines every musical genre that has influenced each member of the group. The band is lead by Rafael Chávez y Moreno on guitar and vocals; Sam Que on saxophone; Brendyn Cane on drums; Khalin Diggings (AKA The Great Khalin) on bass and Terrell “T-Rex” Ross on Keys. Listen to Lalo Cura at lalocura.bandcamp.com.
Dance to music provided by Mix106
Take a picture in a 360° photo booth provided by TDC Entertainment
Enjoy soccer tricks with Futboleros
Grab a bite from Junbuggies and Kona Ice food trucks!
Summer Reading Club Activities
Earn one point for each activity:
- Read or listen to books, graphic novels, e-books and magazines.
- Explore Your Library:
- For all ages:
- Get a library card.
- Attend a Library program. Visit sjcpl.org/events.
- Visit the library. Make a Craft at your library; introduce your child to the library staff and explain what staff do at the library; ask what experiences your branch has and participate.
- Develop your library skills. Show someone how to search for a book on the Library computer or the Library app.
- Place a hold or have a librarian show you how to put a book on hold through the app or website.
- For ages 0-5:
- For teens and adults:
- For all ages:
- Explore Your Community
- Use one of the Library’s Discovery Passes.
- Visit a city or county park.
- Attend the Library’s Boomer Tour June 26, 27, 28 or 29 at local parks.
- Go to the Potawatomi Zoo or a museum.
- Visit the Farmer’s Market.
- Take a bike ride with your family; take a walk along the river; try a new restaurant or visit a new store.
- Take a friend or family member to your favorite part of town.
- Cheer at a South Bend Cubs game.
- Find a great spot to watch fireworks.
- Learn about our local history by taking a historic tour such as the Downtown South Bend Walking Architectural Tour, The African American Landmark tour from the Civil Rights Heritage Center, The History Museum, or a self-led tour of Tippecanoe Place.
Summer Reading Club is sponsored by:
Gifts in Kind
- Bend Yoga
- Chicory Cafe
- Chippewa Bowl
- City of South Bend Venues Parks & Arts
- Civic Theatre
- Generations AdventurePlex
- Griffon Bookstore
- Hacienda Mexican Restaurants
- Hey Sisters! Photography
- Morris Performing Arts Center
- Music Village
- Ninja Golf!
- Snite Museum of Art
- South Bend Cubs
- South Bend Museum of Art
- Southold Dance Theater
- St. Joseph County Parks
- Strikes & Spares