New branch hours begin January 2, 2022. Learn More

New branch hours begin January 2, 2022. Learn More

Support & Help

Tax Assistance

Need help completing your taxes?

Taxes are due on April 18, 2022. An IRS Certified Volunteer can provide free tax preparation at the Library! Information on dates / times is subject to change.

Reach out to a librarian with any questions or for one-on-one assistance navigating these resources!

Call 574-282-4646
Visit any library location

ND/SMC Tax Assistance

Online registration for ND/SMC tax assistance opens two weeks prior to each date at Main Library. Registration for the first date opens January 27, 2022. Masks are required!

Main Library
February 10 – April 9, 2022

Thursday Feb. 105pm-7pmMain Library,
Saturday Feb. 129am-3pmMain Library,
Thursday Feb. 175pm-7pmMain Library,
Saturday Feb. 199am-3pmMain Library,
Thursday Feb. 245pm-7pmMain Library,
Saturday Feb. 269am-3pmMain Library,
Thursday Mar. 35pm-7pmMain Library,
Thursday Mar. 175pm-7pmMain Library,
Saturday Mar. 199am-3pmMain Library,
Thursday Mar. 245pm-7pmMain Library,
Saturday Mar. 269am-3pmMain Library,
2nd floor classroom
Thursday, March 315pm-7pmMain Library,
Saturday, April 29am-3pmMain Library,
Thursday, April 75pm-7pmMain Library,
Saturday, April 99am-3pmMain Library,

VITA/Goodwill Tax Assistance

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) will be run through Goodwill Industries. To make an appointment or to learn more please call Goodwill directly at 574-800-1361. Masks are required and VITA requires proof of vaccination for anyone who makes an appointment at Tutt, Western or LaSalle.

Western Branch
Wednesdays (hours TBD)
February 9 – April 6, 2022

LaSalle Branch
Thursdays (hours TBD)
February 10 – April 7, 2022

Tutt Branch
Mondays (hours TBD)
February 7 – April 4, 2022

Will Prepare

  • Wages, salaries, etc. (Form W-2)
  • Interest Income (Form 1099-INT)
  • Dividends Received (Form 1099-DIV)
  • State Tax Refunds (Form 1099-G)
  • IRA Distributions (Form 1099-R)
  • Pension Income (Forms 1099-R, RRB-1099-R, CSA-1099)
  • Social Security Benefits (Form SSA-1099, RRB-1099)
  • Simple Capital Gain/Loss (Form 1099-B) limited
  • Sale of Home (Form 1099-S) limited
  • Self-employed Income (Form 1099-MISC) limited
  • Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G)
  • Cancellation of Debt (Form 1099-C) limited
  • Health Savings Accounts (Form 1099-SA) limited
  • Itemized Deductions limited
  • Education Credits (Form 1098-T)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Earned Income Credit
  • Health Insurance Statements (Forms 1095-A, B or C)
  • Prior Year and Amended Returns limited
  • Form 8615 (tax on certain children’s unearned income) limited

Will Not Prepare

  • Schedule C with loss, depreciation or business use of home
  • Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
  • Form SS-5 (request for Social Security Number)
  • Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA)
  • Form 8814 (child taxed at parent’s tax rate)
  • Form SS-8 (determination of worker status for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding)
  • Parts 4 & 5 of Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credits)
Please see a professional preparer for assistance with complicated returns.

What to Bring

  • For married filing joint, both spouses must be present
  • Photo identification for you and your spouse (if filing joint return)
  • Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification
  • Number documents for you, your spouse, and dependents
  • Birth dates for you, spouse, and dependents
  • A copy of last year’s tax return
  • All Forms W-2, 1098, and 1099
  • Form 1095-A (Marketplace Health Insurance)
  • Information for other income
  • Information for all deductions/credits
  • Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number
  • For direct deposit of refund, proof of account
  • For prior year returns, copies of income transcripts from IRS if Form W-2 not available
  • Landlord’s name and address (if renting)

Want to be in the know with the latest library news?