The 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child age birth to five years old can participate. You will have access to resources and inspiration to guide you on your journey.
How to participate
- Register: Sign up at any SJCPL location and receive your program materials.
- Track Your Reading: Record your progress with your reading log.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member. Any book that your child listens to counts toward the goal.
- Reach Milestones and Get Rewards: Receive special prizes when your child reaches 100 and 500 books.
- Read 1,000 Books: You did it! Your child will be recognized in the Library’s bimonthly Unfold newsletter and will receive a special 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten crown!
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
By participating in the St. Joseph County Public Library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program, you will have the support and encouragement you need to help your child reach her reading goal!
Children are always learning from the world around them, and you, as a parent or caregiver, are their first teacher. Reading is one of the easiest and most important ways that you can help boost their brain power. Sharing a book with your child is a wonderful way to spend quality time together. It also helps to develop early literacy skills, such as recognizing letter sounds, increasing vocabulary, and understanding words in context. These are all important skills that will help your child learn to read and prepare them to enter kindergarten.
In our busy society, it can be difficult to find the time to read, but it only takes a few minutes each day to make a big impact. 1,000 may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our friendly staff for suggestions—we’re here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!