How to get a card
If you live in St. Joseph County or one of the following townships, you can apply for a free library card by visiting any of our locations.
- Union Township
- Warren Township
If you live in Harris, Lincoln, Olive, or Penn township, you must get a home library card before you get a St. Joe County Public Library card.
- Harris and Penn Townships: Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library
- Lincoln Township: Walkerton-Lincoln Township Public Library
- Olive Township: New Carlisle-Olive Township Public Library
What you need to bring
All applicants must provide a picture ID with current address to verify your identity and residency.
- If your photo ID does not have your current address, please bring in current mail from an institution or government agency (i.e. a household bill, bank statement, or health insurance letters)
Parents of children under 18:
- Provide identifying documents for the child*
*child does not need to be present with parent at registration.
Children under 18 without a parent:
- If child* can provide full name, address, birth date, and home phone number, he/she can register for a Youth Access Card. This overdue-free card allows young patrons to check out up to 5 print items or audiobooks.
*child MUST be present at registration.
St. Joseph County property owners:
- Provide a treasury receipt in your name showing property taxes are paid.
Mishawaka, Plymouth & Bremen Public Library patrons:
- Provide current Mishawaka, Plymouth or Bremen Public Library card.
- Provide an official letter of residence at your temporary address.
In-State nonresident teachers & students at a school in SJCPL’s taxing district:
- Provide proof of enrollment or employment at the school.
Residents unable to visit the library due to physical injury or disability:
- Contact Homebound Services at 282-4663.
- Send a proxy with all required registration documentation.
- Provide a signed letter stating the proxy may register you for a library card.
For more information, call 574-282-4646, or visit one of our locations.
Library Card Responsibilities
You are responsible for all materials checked out on your library card.
If your card is lost or stolen, please call us immediately at 574-282-4646.
You are financially responsible for material that is checked out until you report your card lost or stolen.
For further details on SJCPL’s Circulation Policies, please view Section 3 of our Public Service Policy Manual.
Get a digital card
No library card? No problem. If you are a St. Joe County resident, you can sign up for an SJCPL Digital Card and get access to our digital collection. Fill out this quick form and receive your digital card within 24 hours.
Digital student cards are available for SBCSC students in grades 5-12. To apply for a digital student card, email Kris Springer at firstname.lastname@example.org.