The Receptionist creates a welcoming environment for patrons and supports the operations of the administrative offices at the Main Library. Under the direct supervision of the Chief Financial Officer, and with an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, the Receptionist will:
- Greet patrons, provide direction, and respond to inquiries in person, on the phone, and via email.
- Perform a variety of supportive tasks related to administrative needs of Administration, Finance, and Human Resources, including filing, making copies, special projects, and scheduling and planning events and meetings.
- Maintain the reception, office common areas, and Director’s conference room.
- Maintain physical and electronic administrative files for SJCPL. Adhere to necessary retention schedules as required by the Indiana Commission on Public Records.
- Create documents and basic spreadsheets as needed.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Associate’s Degree in Business preferred.
- At least 2 years of experience as an office assistant in a digital-heavy office environment or experience in a library setting is required.
- Usually scheduled Monday – Friday, 8am-5pm.
- Flexible schedule required to support administrative meetings and special events.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong organizational skills.
- Strong public service orientation and commitment to excellent and genuine internal and external customer service.
- Maintain administrative, patron, and staff confidentiality.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using and troubleshooting computers and software, including Microsoft Office Suite/Google Suite, streaming and digital meeting software, cloud based forms, and Adobe Acrobat. Experience using office equipment such as printers, copy/scan/fax machines, phones, video conferencing equipment.
- Solve problems in a professional manner with Library patrons, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Physical agility and strength to bend, reach, lift, and move library materials (20-25 lbs.) and to stand for long periods of time.
- Accept and manage change.
- Using a variety of technology, host meetings in-person, digitally and hybrid formats.
- Anticipate the needs of others to ensure an efficient and positive experience.
- Meet deadlines and work independently under pressure.
- Form and maintain excellent working relationships with staff at all levels.
- Maintain composure and overcome stress in any situation.
- Exercise initiative, be enthusiastic, creative, flexible, energetic, value diversity, and possess a sense of humor.
- Interpret and communicate Library services, philosophy, policies, and procedures to patrons and staff in a courteous, friendly, and positive manner using one’s best judgment.