Materials Handler (Shelver)
Materials Handlers make it easy for patrons to use the library by keeping our libraries organized and looking great. Under the supervision of the assigned staff member, and with an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, the Materials Handler will:
- Process, organize, and shelve returned library materials. Sort and pack items for delivery.
- Locate and fulfill patron holds.
- Keep material in the correct sequence. Re-shelve out of place library material.
- Maintain neatness on shelves and in public and staff work areas, including, but not limited to items found on floors, tables, and display areas.
- Shift books and other library materials when necessary.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent desirable but not required.
- Assigned to work a set number of hours between 10-16 hours. May work up to 19 hours as needed.
- Evening and weekend work as required.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
- Interest in books and library materials.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Public service orientation and commitment to excellent and genuine customer service.
- Demonstration of character and integrity in all situations while upholding SJCPL’s ethical standards.
- Dependability, punctuality, trustworthiness, good attendance and work habits.
- Physical agility and strength to bend, reach, lift, move library materials (20-25 lbs.), push/pull (up to 50 lbs.), and to stand for long periods of time.
- Follow instructions, be accurate and pay attention to details.
- Work efficiently and prioritize important tasks.
- Accept and manage change. Maintain composure and overcome stress in any situation.
- Identify efficiencies and suggest improvements in workflow.
- Display high standards of ethical conduct, honesty, and integrity.
- Be enthusiastic, creative, flexible, energetic, value diversity, and possess a sense of humor.
- Form and maintain excellent working relationships.
- Manage confidential information appropriately.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Read small print on labels on books and materials.
- Work with minimum supervision and reach and maintain a high level of productivity.
- Alphabetize and utilize the Dewey Decimal System.
- Learn the Library’s self-check and return technology.