The Marketing Specialist breathes life into our digital presence through engaging and informative social media posts, email messages and website content. Working under the direct supervision of the Communications Manager, and with an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, the Marketing Specialist will:
- Write and disseminate quality, engaging content using the Library’s digital and print communications channels including email, social media, the website, Unfold magazine and other print pieces. Write feature stories that tell the Library’s story on the website in Unfold. Create videos, take photographs and organize photographs in accordance with the metadata policy. Maintain visual design standards in collaboration with the Designer.
- Create and implement a social media plan in alignment with the Library’s strategic marketing communications goals. Continuously create high quality, engaging posts to promote library programs, services, and resources using a robust, efficient social media content calendar. Represent the Library using its established tone and voice. Stay up to date on social media trends.
- Maintain the content of the Library’s website, working in collaboration with the Designer. Create and regularly update website content with high-quality writing and photography. Review, edit and publish programs and events in the Library’s event scheduling software. Utilize website best practices.
- Organize and interpret Library data from a variety of sources including OrangeBoy, Sierra and other sources. Create monthly use and engagement reports for the Board and managers. Analyze and interpret Library data to provide insights to decision makers.
- Analyze the effectiveness of all trackable communications such as email marketing, digital advertising and website traffic.
- Implement promotional plans for Library programs and special events such as Science Alive, One Book One Michiana, and other initiatives. Collaborate with other departments to create promotional campaigns, including recruitment, readers’ advisory, and services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, creative writing, marketing or a related field required.
- Experience writing feature stories, developing and maintaining web content and managing social media.
- Experience with content management systems, Adobe Creative Cloud software, online editing and design software and social media management applications.
- At least 3 years of experience in a similar communications role.
- Full time, 40 hour workweek
- Evening and weekend work as required.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
- Excellent writing, editing, storytelling, and proofreading skills, as well as strong organizational skills and an attention to detail.
- Public service orientation and commitment to excellent and genuine customer service.
- Demonstration of character and integrity in all situations while upholding SJCPL’s ethical standards.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to interact and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and vendors.
- Photography, videography and copy editing skills.
- Strong understanding of web analytics, SEO, and social media management.
- Practical experience and proficiency with software including Adobe Creative Suite and content management systems such as WordPress.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills. Excellent creative and critical thinking skills.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of library materials and services.
- Strong knowledge of social media and digital marketing trends.
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative, deadline-driven environment.
- Work on multiple projects as needed. Organize and track details and progress.
- Operate equipment to produce print, digital, and video media.
- Actively and enthusiastically participate in team brainstorming.
- Be enthusiastic, creative, flexible, energetic, value diversity, and possess a sense of humor.
- Engage with and adopt the Library’s mission and strategic plan.
- Accept and manage change. Maintain composure and overcome stress in any situation.