The Gardener is responsible for maintaining SJCPL’s beautiful outdoor community spaces. Working under the direct supervision of the Facilities Manager, and with an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, the person in this position perform the following duties:
- Maintains gardens, paths, lawns and plants at the Library’s Main Library and branch library location while upholding safe work practices. Prune, fertilize, and weed library grounds. Oversee application of pesticides as needed. Keep gardens clear of organic rubbish. Hand water and monitor irrigation systems as needed.
- Keeps accurate records of tasks and duties performed. Prepares maintenance and replacement schedules for equipment, shrubs, and trees. Create and maintain decorative annual plantings.
- Plans and recommends new garden and planting areas, recommends improvements to existing areas as needed.
- Communicates with vendors. Prepares cost estimates for new plantings and improvements, obtains quotes from wholesalers of plantings, trees, and garden supplies.
- Clears snow and spreads salt on walkways as necessary.
- Work indoors as assigned..
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- High school graduate or equivalent preferred.
- At least three (3) years of hands-on experience with a large variety of Midwestern plants.
- Normal workweek is 40 hours per week.
- Partial days, evenings, and weekends may be required.
- Required to adapt to a flexible schedule as arranged by Manager to meet scheduling needs.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Working experience with a large variety of plants, shrubs, and trees native to the Midwest.
- Work outdoors for long hours in a variety of weather conditions.
- Experience working with computers, including Internet, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Windows and Mac OS.
- Maintain safe working practices and uphold safety standards.
- Identify plant species and understand growing conditions and needs of a large variety of plants.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with supervisors and co-workers.
- Drive Library vehicles, attach trailer, and tow necessary equipment and supplies.
- Drive, use, and maintain Library’s utility tractor.
- Work in both supervised and unsupervised conditions.
- Stand and walk for long periods of time; reach and bend and engage in similar strenuous physical activities on a routine basis; lift and carry 50 lbs (bags of fertilizer, salt, etc.).
- Perform assigned indoor work when not performing outdoor Gardening duties.
- Work harmoniously and cooperatively with supervisor, co-workers and patrons.
- Strong public service orientation and commitment to excellent and genuine internal and external customer service.
- Accept and manage change.
- Exercise initiative, be enthusiastic, creative, flexible, energetic, value diversity, and possess a sense of humor.