Director of Branch Services
Perform functions to supervise, develop and coordinate the work of the branch libraries. Under the supervision of the Chief Public Service Officer, and with an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, the Director of Branch Services will:
- Direct all public service operations relating to 9 branch libraries, including ensuring consistency of services and procedures across all branch locations. Keep staff and leadership informed of branch initiatives and projects.
- Supervise branch managers. Hire, train, coach, enforce library policies, recommend changes to employment status, establish performance standards and evaluate performance of branch managers.
- Work closely with Facilities and Public Safety to provide a safe, clean, and welcoming environment at each branch location.
- Establish, interpret, and update policies and procedures as they pertain to branch services.
- Oversee systemwide Librarian in Charge and related training.
- As a member of the senior leadership team, foster systemwide understanding of the Library’s mission, vision, and values, especially as it pertains to the strategic plan.
- Develop and foster staff engagement in collaborative and creative problem solving; facilitate implementation of solutions that improve efficiencies, reduce, or eliminate barriers to services, and increase staff and patron satisfaction.
- Monitor trends and innovations. Engage staff in the development and implementation of new services.
- Network and partner with local organizations. Be an active participant in community events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 7 Branch Managers
- River Park
Education & Experience:
- Masters in Library Science from ALA accredited institution
- At least 5 years public library experience, including experience providing direct service to the public at a branch location.
- At least 3 years management experience.
- A valid State of Indiana Librarian Certification, Level 2 obtained within three years of hire as a condition of employment.
- Full time, 40 hour workweek.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
- Thorough understanding of current public library services and technology, with an emphasis on future trends and developments.
- Public service orientation and commitment to excellent and genuine customer service.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, superior organizational skills, and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills, and a high level of initiative.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to coach, mentor and empower staff in a decisive, professional, and diplomatic way.
- Demonstration of character and integrity in all situations while upholding SJCPL’s ethical standards.
- Proficiency with technology and data analysis.
- Experience developing community partnerships.
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision, and values of SJCPL with a proven track record of serving our community.
- Collaborative work style.
- Judiciously create, interpret and apply policies.
- Analyze and solve problems in all facets of library branch operations.
- Identify innovative services for implementation.
- Be enthusiastic, creative, flexible, energetic, and possess a sense of humor.
- Prepare and present comprehensive reports.
- Foster a culture of innovation that embraces change.
- Stay abreast of current events with special attention to St. Joseph County.
- Encourage staff growth at all levels.
- Maintain patron and staff confidentiality.
- Understand principles of public administration.