City Branch Manager
The person in this position supervises all aspects of one of SJCPL’s branch libraries and connects community members with our limitless resources and services. Under the direct supervision of the Director of Branch Services, and with an unwavering commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the City Branch Manager will:
- Manage and perform all operations for the Branch including information and reference, circulation services, community resource assistance, and patron computer services. Keep staff and stakeholders informed about departmental initiatives and projects.
- Manage departmental staff. Hire, train, schedule, enforce library policies, resolve difficulties, recommend changes to employment status, establish performance standards and evaluate employee performance of department staff and volunteers.
- Engage the local community through programming, outreach and special events.
- Manage the branch materials collection working closely with the Collection Development department.
- Evaluate and implement safety, security and maintenance solutions in conjunction with Facilities and Security Managers.
- Recommend and account for departmental expenditures.
- Participate in special Library initiatives and teams. Provide training as needed on a variety of department related topics.
- Implement the goals, objectives, and activities of the Library’s Strategic Plan in collaboration with the senior leadership team. Track relevant metrics and data and prepare regular reports.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- ALA (American Library Association) accredited MLS (Master’s of Library Science) strongly preferred.
- 1 year professional public library experience and 3 years supervisory experience.
- A valid State of Indiana Librarian Certification, Level 4 obtained within three years of hire as a condition of employment.
- Full time, 40 hour workweek
- Evening and weekend work as required.
- Flexible availability for emergency situations.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
- High level of initiative and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong organizational skills.
- Strong management skills and the ability to supervise, coach, mentor and empower staff.
- Public service orientation and commitment to excellent and genuine customer service.
- Demonstration of character and integrity in all situations while upholding SJCPL’s ethical standards.
- Experience working with and proficiency with computers, including Internet, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Windows and Mac OS and communication technologies.
- Knowledge and experience of current library technology.
- Knowledge of library materials and services appropriate for a variety of patrons.
- Plan, prioritize and delegate. Make decisions and work independently and interdependently.
- Accept and manage change. Maintain composure and overcome stress in any situation.
- Identify efficiencies and implement improvements in workflow.
- Display high standards of ethical conduct, honesty, and integrity. Lead by example.
- Understand and endorse the St. Joseph County Public Library’s policies and procedures.
- Form and maintain excellent working relationships with library staff at all levels, patrons and community organizations. Network and partner with appropriate community organizations.
- Be enthusiastic, creative, flexible, energetic, value diversity, and possess a sense of humor.
- Problem solve in a professional manner with Library patrons, co-workers, and Leadership.
- Maintain patron and staff confidentiality.
- Work patiently and creatively with all patrons.
- Model excellent customer service.