The Barista will prepare and serve specialty coffee, other beverages, and select food items to patrons. Under the direct supervision of the Cafe Manager, and with an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, the Barista will:
- Provide hands-on customer service. Prepare and serve hot and cold beverages as well as prepared foods
and baked goods. Describe product details to customers. Correctly customize orders as requested.
- Perform cash register operations. Receive and process customer payments.
- Clean and sanitize all equipment, utensils, dishes, and work areas. Clean and sanitize service and seating
areas. Ensure proper functioning of freezers, refrigerators, and heating by routinely checking
temperatures in that equipment.
- Ensure customer service stations are properly stocked with paper products or beverage preparation
items. Stock supplies or retail products; inventory, order, or receive products as directed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Previous work experience in a cafe or coffee shop preferred.
- Part time (variable, under 20 hours), or an as-needed substitute position (variable hours).
- Must be available to work early mornings, weekends, and holidays.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Public service orientation and commitment to excellent and genuine customer service.
- Must be able to use a computer for basic transactions and forms.
- Dependability, punctuality, trustworthiness, good attendance, and work habits.
- Physical agility and strength to bend, reach, lift, and move cafe supplies (20-25 lbs.) and to stand for long
periods of time.
- Serve customers quickly, efficiently, and kindly.
- Accept and manage change. Maintain composure and overcome stress in any situation.
- Identify efficiencies and suggest improvements in workflow.
- Display high standards of ethical conduct, honesty, and integrity.
- Understand, endorse, and communicate the St. Joseph County Public Library’s policies and procedures in
a courteous, friendly, and positive manner.
- Be enthusiastic, creative, flexible, energetic, value diversity, and possess a sense of humor.
- Solve problems in a professional manner.
- Form and maintain excellent working relationships.
- Work patiently and creatively with all patrons.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Become proficient with cash register operations.
- Follow all safe food handling procedures and sanitation practices.
- Manage multiple orders simultaneously and recall faces, names, and preferences of frequent patrons.