The Associate Librarian helps patrons use the library and connects the public with reading, library materials, digital access, and special experiences. Under the direct supervision of the manager and with an unwavering commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the Associate Librarian will:
- Provide hands-on customer service. Assist patrons with library accounts. Perform daily departmental procedures, including cash register operations. Use a variety of library technologies and softwares. Troubleshoot computers, copiers, and equipment as needed.
- Help patrons one-on-one with a variety of in-depth projects and topics, such as completing government forms, school projects, job applications, etc. Provide readers’ advisory and reference services to patrons.
- Connect patrons digitally by helping them use a variety of devices and technologies.
- Plan and implement activities and experiences for patrons of all ages with a focus on adults except at North Liberty and Lakeville, where the focus for this position is children and youth. Provide training as needed on a variety of topics.
- Actively participate in community initiatives and outreach as a representative of SJCPL in order to create meaningful connections and relationships with community partners.
- Participate in merchandising and maintaining library appearance, including managing displays and performing shelving responsibilities.
- Demonstrate broad knowledge of and commitment to essential services and digital literacy. Assist with collection development and maintenance activities. Keep abreast of cultural, library, and publishing trends.
- Oversee location or department when assigned.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year college or university.
- Previous experience working with the public and/or experience in public libraries preferred.
- A valid State of Indiana Librarian Certification, Level 5 obtained within three years of hire as a condition of employment.
- Either assigned to full time (40 hour workweek) or part time (20, 24, or 30 hour workweek).
- Evening and weekend work as required.
- Flexible availability for emergency situations.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong organizational skills.
- Public service orientation and commitment to excellent and genuine customer service.
- Demonstration of character and integrity in all situations while upholding SJCPL’s ethical standards.
- Practical experience and proficiency with computers, including the Internet, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Windows, Mac OS, and communication technologies.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of library materials and services.
- Physical agility and strength to bend, reach, lift, and move library materials (20-25 lbs.) and to stand for long periods of time.
- Plan, prioritize, and delegate. Make decisions and work independently and interdependently.
- Accept and manage change. Maintain composure and overcome stress in any situation.
- Identify efficiencies and implement improvements in workflow.
- Display high standards of ethical conduct, honesty, and integrity. Lead by example.
- Understand, endorse, and communicate the St. Joseph County Public Library’s policies and procedures in a courteous, friendly, and positive manner.
- Be enthusiastic, creative, flexible, energetic, value diversity, and possess a sense of humor.
- Solve problems in a professional manner with library patrons, co-workers, and Leadership.
- Form and maintain excellent working relationships. Network and partner with appropriate community organizations.
- Manage confidential information appropriately.
- Work patiently and creatively with all patrons.
- Model excellent customer service.
- Teach and instruct others on a variety of topics.
- Become proficient with current library technology.
- Take charge in emergency situations.