Get a Library Card
Residents of the following townships can apply for a free library card by visiting any St. Joseph County Public Library location:
Centre, Clay, Greene, German, Liberty, Portage, Union or Warren Townships
Residents of Harris, Lincoln, Olive, and Penn Townships are required to get a home library card before they can get an SJCPL card.
Harris and Penn Townships: Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library
Lincoln Township: Walkerton-Lincoln Township Public Library
Olive Township: New Carlisle-Olive Township Public Library
All applicants must provide a picture ID with current address to verify your identity and residency. If your photo ID does not have current address, please bring in current mail from an institution or government agency. Examples include a household bill, bank statement, or health insurance letters.
Some applicants must provide additional documentation. Please see below.
Parents of children under 18:
- Provide identifying documents for the child*
*child does not need to be present with parent at registration.
Children under 18 without a parent:
- If child* can provide full name, address, birth date, and home phone number, he/she can register for a Youth Access Card. This overdue-free card allows young patrons to check out up to 5 print items or audiobooks.
*child MUST be present at registration.
St. Joseph County property owners:
- Provide a treasury receipt in your name showing property taxes are paid.
Mishawaka, Plymouth & Bremen Public Library patrons:
- Provide current Mishawaka, Plymouth or Bremen Public Library card.
- Provide an official letter of residence at your temporary address.
In-State nonresident teachers & students at a school in SJCPL's taxing district:
- Provide proof of enrollment or employment at the school.
Residents unable to visit the library due to physical injury or disability:
- Contact Homebound Services at 282-4663.
- Send a proxy with all required registration documentation.
- Provide a signed letter stating the proxy may register you for a library card.
For more information, call 574-282-4646, or visit one of our SJCPL locations.
Library Card Responsibilities
You are responsible for all materials checked out on your library card.
If your card is lost or stolen, please call us immediately at 574-282-4646.
You are financially responsible for material that is checked out until you report your card lost or stolen.
For further details on SJCPL's Circulation Policies, please view Section 3 of our Public Service Policy Manual.